Friday, September 7, 2012

Climbing up

 
 
If video space is empty click "climbing up" on menu bar again.
video link is http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uRQIic97g6U

Songwriters: GABRIEL, PETER
7 Climbing up on Solsbury Hill
7 I could see the city light
7 Wind was blowing, time stood still
7 Eagle flew out of the night
7 He was something to observe
7 Came in close, I heard a voice
7 Standing stretching every nerve
7 Had to listen had no choice
10 I did not believe the information
10 I just had to trust imagination
7 My heart going boom boom boom
7 "Son," he sa-id "Grab your things,
6 I've come to take you home."

8 To keep in silence I resigned
8 My friends would think I was a nut
7 Turning water into wine
7 Open doors would soon be shut
7 So I went from day to day
7 Tho' my life was in a rut
7 "Till I thought of what I'd say
7 Which connection I should cut
10 I was feeling part of the scenery
10 I walked right out of the machinery
7 My heart going boom boom boom
7 "Hey" he sa-id "Grab your things
6 I've come to take you home."
(Back home.)
                                                                               
7 When illusion spin her net
8 I'm never where I want to be
8 And liberty she pirouette
7 When I think that I am free
7 Watched by empty silhouettes
8 Who close their eyes but still can see
7 No one taught them etiquette
7 I will show another me
9 Today I don't need a replacement
10 I'll tell them what the smile on my face meant
7 My heart going boom boom boom
9 "Hey" I sa-id "You can keep my things,
6 They've come to take me home."
What does this song mean to me? I first heard this song as a young teenager and some of its meaning has change through the years but the many mental images it conveys are still bright, magical, and clear as they were then. The “city” in the song represents my world, complex, confusing, busy, and swirling with nervous energy, splitting my attention into countless directions as I try to hold it all together in the shape of a perfect orb. There have been times in my life that I believed I must be in the wrong place, living the wrong life I am meant for, but it’s the only life I know. Its hard to step away, but I realize I’ve got to find myself, be who I am, and get the most out of life without letting it take the most out of me.
 
Break away, climb the hill and turn to look and see myself from a distance. The strangling stress subsides to a soothing sound of silence. Subtle cooling breeze picks up to a gusting wind and “time stood still”. My eyes begin to water and squint peering out into the dark night sky. The wind suddenly slows and sleeps. The sound of large wings flap, the cry of an eagle that flies close. I hear a comforting voice letting me know it’s time to come “home” and I follow.
The song invokes a dream and the entranced listener is teleported to the top of this hill and is able to reflect on their life. So many of us at one time or another fall off course, and some fall deep making it almost impossible to climb that hill of reflection. Taking a moment to stand at the top of the hill and look upon your world may give you a more clear perspective on life. When life is in complete control it has the power to devour the soul. It drains one’s inspiration and locks the eyes to only see what it requires. Life is uncontrollable, but not all of it. The best we can do is to responsibly get out of it what we can. Remember to take a moment every now and then to climb the hill, look back, reflect, have faith, and choose the path that finally takes you home.
 
The song has three versus at thirteen lines a verse. The song follows a 7/10 beat in the first verse. According to a comment on the website Songfacts,“Gabriel used an unusual 7/4 time signature on this song”. Also, “More instruments are added on each verse”. [1] Peter Gabriel has said in an interview with Sounds magazine, "That 7/4 rhythm works well because it feels like a normal rhythm but isn't quite right. It's not like a clever rhythm, just a bit odd. It'll be interesting to see how people dance to it."[1]
 
Many people believe that the song is about a religious epiphany, others equate it with a soldier at war, and some have mentioned its connection with UFO sightings.[1] Peter Gabriel said that he wrote the song during his break from the band Genesis (with Phil Collins).[1] A song, a poem, a painting, a story all mean different things to different people. The intention of those that created the pieces has their interpretation through their inspiration. However, the core of the inspiration for its creation cannot dictate how it will inspire. Those that connect with it create their own personal experience and therefore the meaning branches out into endless streams that flow and connect.
Salisbury Hill is a dramatic, inspiring song and still to this day every time I hear it my heart goes boom, boom, boom!
 
 

Work Cited
Lyricsfreak. Solsbury Hill Lyrics.
Songfacts. Solisbury Hill by Peter Gabriel.
[1] http://www.songfacts.com/detail.php?id=393


No comments:

Post a Comment